Start date: 15 February 2022
Closing date: 29 March 2022
Title of the public consultation: Public Consultation: Guidelines for Good Forestation Practices for the Maltese Islands
Ministry: Ministry for the Environment, Climate Change and Planning
Entity: Environment and Resources Authority
In terms of Article 51 of the Environment Protection Act (Cap. 549), it is duly notified that the Environment and Resources Authority (ERA) has prepared draft ‘Guidelines for Good Forestation Practices for the Maltese Islands’.
Forestation practices in the Maltese islands typically involve the planting of trees and their upkeep for the further greening of the islands, enhancement of the environment and the enjoyment and benefit of the public. Tree planting projects include afforestation of bare land, reforestation of areas previously covered with trees and habitat restoration to assist in the recovery of an ecosystem.
The Environment and Resources Authority has developed draft ‘Guidelines for Good Forestation Practices for the Maltese Islands’, for successful and functional tree-planting projects in natural, rural and urban environments. The policy document provides a guide in the form of practical pointers, recommendations and a checklist of general codes of good practice to enable a successful tree-planting initiative. The guidelines take into consideration the different stages of a tree-planting project, from design to implementation.
The guidelines are intended to assist various entities ranging from (but not limited to) Governmental and private entities, to local councils, voluntary organisations, businesses, professionals (such as landscape designers, contractors, developers, engineers, architects) and also the general public, in order to:
- promote environment-friendly and ecologically sound forestation practices;
- encourage greening and ecological restoration incentives in different areas using suitable species;
- establish common standards of good forestation practices, in line with complimentary legislation and policy;
- encourage ownership and long-term maintenance of forestation projects;
- support the implementation of the National Trees and Woodlands Strategy and Action Plan 2022-2030; and
- support Malta’s commitment and efforts in climate change mitigation and adaptation.
In line with Article 51 of the Environment Protection Act (Cap. 549), ERA is inviting the public and interested stakeholders to take note of the draft ‘Guidelines for Good Forestation Practices for the Maltese Islands’. The Authority wishes to receive feedback on the policy document, as well as any other related issues linked with these aspects you feel as duly relevant or of attention.
Moreover, the following key questions are being put forward as part of this consultation:
- Can the objectives be further refined, keeping in mind the aim of these guidelines?
- Should there be additional aspects not as yet identified forming part of these guidelines?
- Which actions would you consider as priorities?
- Do you have any further feedback or comments on the draft guidelines?
- Submission of feedback
Comments will be received by email on firstname.lastname@example.org by 29th March 2022.
An online public meeting will be organised by ERA on 7th March 2022 wherein the draft Guidelines will be explained. The presentation will be followed by a Q&A session wherein members of the public may ask questions. Should you be interested to participate, you are kindly requested to register from this LINK by not later than Wednesday 2nd March 2022.
- Further notes:
Please be informed that comments submitted, together with the identity of the contributor, may be published online at the end of the public consultation, unless the contributor objects to the publication of his/her personal data. In this case, the contribution may be published in anonymous form.
All comments submitted shall be duly considered.