Start date: 28 July 2020
Closing date: 18 August 2020
Title of the public consultation: Intent and Objectives: National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan to 2030
Ministry: Ministry for the Environment, Climate Change and Planning
Entity: Environment & Resources Authority
In terms of Article 51 of the Environment Protection Act (Cap. 549), the public is duly notified that the Environment and Resources Authority (ERA) is preparing the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan for the period to 2030, in line with Malta’s commitments as a party to the UN Convention on Biological Diversity.
The National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan to 2030 builds upon Malta’s first National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (2012-2020) and the final review of implementation, in order to continue the Government’s long-term efforts on biodiversity conservation.
The main objectives of the proposed “National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan to 2030” are to:
- outline the national priorities and establish a comprehensive and proactive framework for safeguarding Malta’s biodiversity;
- serve as a national policy driver to mainstream biodiversity and its services into relevant sectoral or cross-sectoral plans, programmes and policies, especially those that have a bearing on Malta’s biological and natural resources;
- provide coordinated measures for addressing biodiversity loss and fostering nature conservation;
- contribute to the protection of ecosystems and their services, as well as social and economic safeguards through the elimination and effective management of all associated pressures and threats;
- structure and facilitate broad participation and collective action for biodiversity conservation and restoration through stakeholder cooperation;
- streamline the legal requirements of global, regional and national legislation, as well as to offer strategic direction on how to address biodiversity loss at a national level;
- provide opportunities and create an impetus necessary for achieving the national priorities and the Global Biodiversity Targets, while also contributing to the implementation of the EU Biodiversity Strategy to 2030 and the UN Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework.
The public is invited to submit any feedback or comments on the intent and objectives of the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan to 2030, in line with the following consultation questions:
- Do you agree with the proposed intent and objectives of this strategy?
- What do you envision for Malta’s biodiversity to 2030?
- What aspects do you retain to be crucial to safeguard Malta’s biodiversity by 2030?
3. Submission of feedback
- E-mail: email@example.com
4. Further notes
Please be informed that comments submitted, together with the identity of the contributor, may be published online at the end of the public consultation, unless the contributor objects to the publication of his/her personal data. In this case, the contribution may be published in anonymous form.
All comments submitted shall be duly considered.
The proposed National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan to 2030 will be available for public consultation in due course at the following web link: https://era.org.mt/consultation-on-legislation-and-policy/.