Start date: 23 August 2019
Closing date: 6 September 2019
Title of the public consultation: Intent and Objectives: Action Plan to address the Escape of Invasive Alien Species (IAS) from Confinement
Ministry: Ministry for Environment, Sustainable Development and Climate Change
Entity: Environment & Resources Authority
In terms of Article 51 of the Environment Protection Act (Cap. 549), it is duly notified that the Environment and Resources Authority (ERA) is preparing an ’Action Plan to Address the Escape of Invasive Alien Species (IAS) from Confinement’, in line with the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (NBSAP) and Article 13 (action plans on the pathways of invasive alien species) of Regulation (EU) No. 1143/2014 on the prevention and management of the introduction and spread of invasive alien species.
As per Article 13 of the EU IAS Regulation, Malta is conducting a comprehensive analysis of the pathways of unintentional introduction of IAS of Union concern, in the process identifying the priority pathway(s) and establishing an action plan to address such priority pathway(s).
Measure BI1 of the NBSAP further identifies the need to set up a contingency plan to address the accidental introductions of invasive alien species.
The main objectives of the proposed action plan are to:
- establish a proactive framework to reduce the escape and discarding of invasive alien species of Union concern into the environment;
- raise public awareness on the threat posed by IAS (with particular reference to
- provide solution(s) to owners unwilling or unable to keep their exotic/IAS pets;
- encourage good practices to prevent the accidental escape of IAS from private holdings; and
- encourage the public to make informed purchasing decisions on acquiring exotic species so as to prevent or reduce the number of unwanted pets.
The public is invited to submit any feedback or comments on the intent and objectives of this action plan.
3. Submission of feedback
4. Further notes
Please be informed that comments submitted, together with the identity of the contributor, may be published online at the end of the public consultation, unless the contributor objects to the publication of his/her personal data. In this case, the contribution may be published in anonymous form.
All comments submitted shall be duly considered.
The draft Action Plan to address the Escape of Invasive Alien Species (IAS) from Confinement will be available for public consultation in due course at the following link.