In order to register a vehicle, the applicant is to download one of the applications below and submit the following information:
- A general description of the type vehicle or vessel being registered
- Three good-quality colour photographs representative of the vehicle or vessel being applied for from the front, back and side and clearly
- Details of owner of the vehicle/ vessel and the company under which the application is being made
- Currently no fees applicable
Class A, C, D:
- Vehicle registration number
- Copy of last registration certificate issued by Transport Malta*
Registered capacity in volume and vehicle tonnage
- For vehicles registered under A3, C1, C2, D1 and D3 details of the containment measures that ensure secure containment of waste in accordance with good practice. In the case of skip/hook loaders carrying liquid waste or sludge such measures shall cover the same container carrying waste
- For vehicles registered under A3, C1, C2, D1 and D3 an engineer’s certificate specifying that the waste containment systems are in good operational order*.
- In the case of skip/hook loaders carrying liquid waste or sludge the certificate shall cover the same container carrying waste.
Class B (Vessels):
- Registered name, flag and official number
- Copy of last registration certificate issued by Transport Malta or in the case of non-Maltese flag carrier by the respective regulatory authority*
- Details of the containment measures that ensure secure containment of waste in accordance with good practice
- Copy of the Transport Malta authorized ship surveyor’s certificate certifying that the vessel is adequate to carry the specific wastes being applied for, and has the necessary containment measures in accordance with good practice, and which are in good working order*
- Registered capacity in volume and tonnage of vessel
Details of positioning systems available on-board (a Global Positioning System is the minimum requirement)
- Details of systems that allow the remote tracking of the vessel movements
Note: * denotes information which must also be submitted with each renewal of the permit
Registration and Renewal Forms
Application for registration of vehicle
Application for registration of vessel
The registration form can be collected from all ERA office at Hexagon House, Spencer Hill, Marsa during office hours.
Registration of vehicles is valid for a maximum of one year and applicants are required to submit and application to renew annually. As from June 2018, registration holders are required to submit a new application form through the e-forms system should they wish to renew their permit. Applicants are required to submit a copy of the valid vehicle license and an updated engineer’s report upon each renewal.
Registered waste carriers are issued subject to conditions listed in the GBR Guidance Document (download here) and with a tag that should be affixed on the wind screen of the vehicle. Only registered waste carriers are allowed to enter authorised waste facilities.
Waste carriers not in possession of this tag caught carrying waste may be subject to legal action, which may even include the confiscation of the vehicle/vessel.
For more information, call the Environmental Permitting and Industry Unit office at ERA on telephone no. 2292 3500 or on e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated 25/08/2020